Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Teaching today

I have been teaching the senior BSN students almost since the day that I arrived. There are 21 students (3 male students). Because they have research projects assigned, I have been given the task of teaching Research Methods every day from 3:00 - 5:00 until I leave in May. They have already had 3 months of research methods, but they remain confused. I enjoy this small group of students. I have even managed to learn a few of their names and the females have offered useful advice on managing the scarfs, good places to shop, how to manage the autorickshaw drivers, etc. They are great!!

Today was a major breakthrough in class. They actually argued with me and defended their research projects and survey questions. I was so proud of them. Until today, they only speak when called upon and never offer any unsolicited comments. Yeah!! I am making progress. They were teaching me how to word survey questions in the native, local language. It was a great day of teaching in India. Next we will begin to work on developing critical thinking skills.

No comments: